At a craft fair a couple of weeks before Thanksgiving, a local caterer was handing out samples of a pumpkin dessert with a pecan struesel-like topping...and it was delish! I made a mental note that this might be my dessert solution. I found the recipe below and gave it a try last Thursday. I had to keep myself from going back for seconds, and the pie was eaten in its entirety - success!
PUMPKIN PIE WITH TOASTED PECAN PRALINE TOPPING
1 (9 inch) deep-dish pie crust, unbaked, or better yet, bake your own
for pie filling:
½ teaspoon salt
1¼ teaspoons ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground ginger
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
¾ cup brown sugar (either light or dark is fine); I used half of each
15 onces pure pumpkin puree
8 ounces evaporated milk
for Pecan Praline Topping:
2 tablespoons butter, softened
2 tablespoons brown sugar5 tablespoons toasted chopped pecans, lightly toasted
- Preheat oven to 425°F, and prepare pie crust for filling.
- In a large bowl whisk the eggs, salt, ground cinnamon, ground ginger, and ground nutmeg together until combined well.
- Add brown sugar, and pumpkin, and whisk together.
- Gradually stir in evaporated milk until blended, and pour mixture into an unbaked 9" deep dish pie crust, place pie on baking sheet and bake at 425°F for 15 minutes, reduce oven temperature to 350°F and continue baking for 40 minutes. **I decided to cover my crust after it had baked for awhile…promptly forgot and ended up with a crispy crust. Since this pie bakes for quite awhile, I highly suggest covering your crust!
- Prepare Pecan Praline Topping while pie is baking, by mixing together all topping ingredients (softened butter, brown sugar and toasted pecans) in a small bowl until combined.
- Carefully top pie with Pecan Praline Topping and cook for another 5-10 more minutes. Before removing pie from oven, check for doneness; knife, cake tester, or toothpick inserted in center of pie should come out clean.
- Let cool for at least 1½ hours. Serve right away or refrigerate covered until ready to serve. Garnish with whipped cream or cool whip if desired.