I made theses muffins with the recommended 50% sugar instead of 57.6%. Though the reduction isn't huge for this recipe in particular, it did reduce the amount form 2/3 cup to 1/2 cup, and I can't say I missed it. The pecan crunch topping makes these muffins especially delightful. I used a nut chopper which chopped the pecans fairly small. However, if you like bigger chunks of nuts (they would make for a prettier presentation if making a batch to give away), chop by hand. The topping turns a regular banana muffin into something special.
Back to sugar...the American Heart Association recommends that adult men and adult women take in only 36 grams/24 grams of sugar respectively. This equals 9 teaspoons for men and 6 teaspoons women. This recipe has 24 teaspoons of sugar. If you make a batch of 12 muffins, each muffin has 2 teaspoons of sugar (not including the brown sugar sprinkled on top). If you are looking for a sweet baked good treat in the morning, cutting even 2/3 of a teaspoon helps satisfy the craving without taking up your entire sugar allowance before 10am! I had a muffin mid-morning and then a brownie for dessert tonight, so I am sure I was way above my 6 teaspoons quota today. I forgot to mention that I also like larger muffins, so I made 6 instead of 12 muffins. I guess tomorrow I will need to opt for a sugar-free breakfast.
I have two savory dinner dishes to share. I am waiting for a busy weekday night to pull them out of the freezer so I can share if they are good only the day they are made or if they make great make ahead dinners as well. I hope to have my conclusions soon. In the meantime, if it is still chilly in your next of the woods, choose a sugar-free latte and splurge with a toasty banana pecan crunch muffin on a crisp winter morning!
Banana Pecan Crunch Muffins
Adapted from www.spendwithpennies.com
- 1½ cups flour (213 g)
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup sugar (106 g)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup melted butter
- ⅓ cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons oats
- ⅓ cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a muffin pan with paper liners.
- Combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix together mashed bananas, sugar, egg, vanilla and butter. Add in flour mixture and stir just until combined. (Do not overmix) Divide batter evenly over 12 muffin cups.
- In a small bowl combine flour, brown sugar, butter, oats and pecans until mixed. Divide topping over muffins.
- Bake 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Banana Pecan Crunch Muffins (printable recipe)