Adapted from The Novice Chef (https://thenovicechefblog.com)
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (15 oz) can pumpkin purée
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 8 oz 1/3 less fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Place foil baking cups into muffin pan. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, spices, baking soda and salt until well combined. Set aside.
- In large bowl, whisk together pumpkin purée, sugar and brown sugar.
- Beat in eggs, vegetable oil and vanilla extract. Slowly whisk in the flour mixture, until there are no lumps. Fill muffin tins 3/4 full.
- In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Add in sugar, egg yolk and vanilla extract and beat until well combined.
- Top each muffin with about 1 tablespoon of cream cheese mixture and use a toothpick to swirl it into the batter. This will not look smooth, but it will bake up much prettier.
- Bake muffins for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Serve warm, at room temperature or even slightly chilled! Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
The pumpkin muffin part of this recipe is delicious and moist without the cream cheese filling. If you want to skip it all together, you will still have yummy muffins. You could also place the filling in the center instead of swirling it on top. Pour pumpkin mixture into half of the muffin cup, place a dollop of filling, add ore pumpkin mix on top. You could also bake this in a loaf pan!